We will comply with the Data Protection Legislation by following a number of important principles regarding the privacy and disclosure of information. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that Catalyst Directors, Staff and Committee Members are aware of their obligations when handling personal information which identifies a natural living person and that individuals internally and externally are aware of their rights.
Application of this policy
The Data Protection Legislation and therefore this policy applies to any situation where personal data for a natural living person can be identified. Any personal data collected and used must be treated in accordance with current Data Protection Legislation.
Coverage of this policy
The capture, storage, processing, management, distribution and secure destruction of any personal data for natural living persons connected with Colchester Catalyst Charity.
When dealing with personal data Colchester Catalyst Charity will:-
- Process personal information only where this is strictly necessary in a fair and lawful way, ensuring it is relevant and adequate.
- Keep the information we hold to a minimum and only while we have a purpose to retain.
- Not collect information directly from children.
- Provide clear details about how personal information is used, taking particular care when dealing with sensitive or special category data or information relating to children under the age of 13.
- Keep accurate personal information, update as appropriate, store securely and not to hold for any longer than necessary, ensuring it is disposed of appropriately.
- Only share information with others when explicit consent has been given by the data subject.
- Ensure that people know about their rights to see personal information we hold about them and that we respond appropriately, taking into account the exemptions allowed by Data Protection Legislation should a request for access, rectification or erasure be received.
Only process Special Category data with the explicit consent from a data subject for one or more specified purposes except where processing is necessary for carrying out our legal obligations.
When we process personal information, individuals have the right to the following: –
- To be informed as to the purpose and the legal basis for this processing.
- To access their personal data and to request rectification or erasure if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- To restrict and/or object to the processing of their data.
- To data portability, allowing them to move, copy or transfer personal data from one IT environment to another in a secure way.
This document has been authorised and approved by the Board of Directors.
Data Protection Legislation
From 25th May 2018 Data Protection Legislation in the UK means
‘Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR), as amended by the UK Data Protection Bill and/or relevant acts of parliament.’
Special Category Data
Special Category Data is information about an individuals:-
- Ethnic origin
- Trade Union membership
- Sex life
- Sexual orientation
Specific Privacy Notices relating to this policy:-
Individuals who apply directly to Catalyst for funding assistance in connection with their individual needs.